- Content is material marketers produce, such as signage, advertising, blogs etc.
- Channels are the vehicles you use to get content out to the world, such as TV, radio, print, outdoor, banner ads, social media, email etc.
- Aligning your channels and content gets the right message to the right person at the right time. It also allows for personalization. There is no one-size-fits-all message. Consumers expect better than that and we as marketers must deliver.
- Content can be aligned by persona or by customer journey stage. As a refresher, the journey stages are “See, Think, Do, Grow, Give.”
- Channel and content alignment is the fourth actionable component of Iterative Marketing.
There are two different ways to purchase advertising and acquire these channels: 1) buying ad space 2) buying an audience.
- Traditional media buying uses ad space in publications, for example, as a proxy for the audience you are trying to get in front of.
- Digital media buying allows marketers to use third- and first-party data to buy direct channels of communication to an audience.
- Learn the difference between first- and third-party data.
Charity of the Week:
Six Actionable Components are the actions we take as marketers to implement Iterative Marketing. They don’t have to be implemented all at once. They are:
- Brand Discovery: Uncover how your buying audience feels about your product or service and how they rationalize the decision to buy.
- Persona Discovery: Document the individuals involved in the buying process in a way that allows us to empathize with them in a consistent way.
- Journey Mapping: Plot the stages and paths of the persona lifecycle, documenting each persona’s unique state of mind, needs and concerns at each stage.
- Channel and Content Alignment: Align every piece of content and marketing channel/activity to a primary persona and primary marketing stage, identifying new channels and content needs where opportunities exist.
- Experimentation and Optimization: Conduct thoughtful experiments designed to produce statistically significant business insights and apply the results to optimize performance.
- Reporting and Feedback: Report and review data and insights to drive decisions in content and strategy, as well as information to be used by the organization as a whole.
We hope you want to join us on our journey. Find us on IterativeMarketing.net, the hub for the methodology and community. Email us at [email protected], follow us on twitter at @iter8ive or join The Iterative Marketing Community LinkedIn group.
The Iterative Marketing Podcast is a production of Brilliant Metrics, a consultancy helping brands and agencies rid the world of marketing waste.
Onward and upward!